9 Best Insurance Claims Adjuster Training (Even If You’re Completely New)

New to Insurance Claims Adjusting?

It’s no secret… It’s 2023 and adjusting is a lucrative career! Nevertheless, we’re excited you are here.  Only ambitious individuals plan to become insurance claims adjusters.

And here’s why:

THEY WILL MAKE A LOT OF MONEY (How Much Do Insurance Adjusters Make?). It’s not easy to become an adjuster, but it’s well worth it. If you think that you have the skills required to become a professional adjuster great! You are going to enjoy your new income.

This article will cover the training programs and certifications you should get to become an adjuster.

But first…

Before you can apply for any license or certification, you must take your state-approved course. For most states, the required course is 40 hours. This is known as a pre-license course.

The following 16 states don’t require a pre-license course for the general adjuster exam:

  1. Colorado
  2. D.C.
  3. Illinois
  4. Iowa
  5. Kansas
  6. Maryland
  7. Massachusetts (must take Resident Appraiser Course for Auto)
  8. Missouri
  9. Nebraska
  10. New Jersey
  11. N. Dakota
  12. Ohio
  13. S. Dakota
  14. Tennessee
  15. Virginia
  16. Wisconsin
  17. Pennsylvania (must take appraiser and Public Adjuster License)

If you live in the states above it is recommended you get your license through Texas, Florida, or Georgia. Georgia has the best pass rates. This means most people pass the exam on the first attempt. Florida has rules and regulations that make candidates take extra steps before they can work. If you live in Florida, some programs allow you to be exempt from taking the exam. Finally, Texas has a less favorable pass rate but you can get licensed pretty quickly… after you pass.

Texas, Florida, and Georgia all require a pre-license course.

Texas, Florida, and Georgia allow reciprocity with other states. This means you’ll easily be able to buy licenses to work in other states. Georgia is the only 1 out of those 3 that allows you to hold a public adjuster and an insurance adjuster license.

If you live in New York and want to become a claims adjuster, you’ll need to take 2 40-hour pre-license courses to have the best opportunity to work.

Want to know more?

Leave a comment if you want to learn more about licensing in New York, California, Hawaii, Florida, Texas, or Georgia. Now on to the suggested training.

Claims Adjuster Training

Second, after you’re license you need to gain experience by attending training, classes, or finding an entry-level role. I want you to keep in mind that TRAINING is NOT the same as CERTIFICATION.

The benefit of participating in the training program is that you will learn all the basics of property and casualty training related to the tasks that insurance adjusters have to manage.

The benefit of participating in certification courses is that you can work claims for certain carriers.

In fact, in most cases it’s MANDATORY!

For example, you must take certifications to adjust claims for State Farm (Big Red), USAA, and Liberty Mutual.


Training for Insurance Claims Adjusters

You will learn:

  • a lot about the insurance industry
  • claims adjuster jobs
  • claims adjuster skillsets
  • How to work with different companies
  • How to work-from-home or in the field
  • Different documentation you need to collect
  • and much, much more

During training, you will learn how to make the right judgments based on the available information. It is your job to assure that the policyholder is indemnified for the losses covered by their policy.

Here’s a little secret… many adjusters prefer to work independently and they need to get the right training since they often work with different companies at the same time on a contract basis. Independent adjusters (IA) have to assure that they meet the requirements of all the companies to assure that they can earn the required compensation.

This will also help IAs stay deployed longer.

So, the best reason to attend training is adjusters are taught how to deal with the tasks associated with closing a claim. This includes all the information and reports submitted at the right time.Time management is very important because you cannot be late with the report at any cost. When you will apply for the independent adjuster training program you will learn to manage different tasks at the same time.

Get the following training:

  1. Rope & Harness (HAAG)
  2. Construction Materials (Habitat 4 Humanity, Lowe’s, Home Depot) – FREE
  3. Auto Parts (repair shop, auto service centers)
  4. Customer service
  5. Property adjuster training (outside adjusting)
  6. Desk adjuster training (inside adjusting)
  7. Drone training (coming soon)
  8. Xactimate level I & II
  9. Audatex


Xactimate, the industry’s most powerful and comprehensive solution for property claims estimation, is the number one choice for restoration professionals thanks to its precision and flexibility throughout all stages of the repair process.

Most training you can take at any time. The certifications must be taken through a firm or carrier. There are many certifications to get to best set yourself up to become an adjuster.

Here are a few:

  1. State Farm Auto
  2. State Farm Property
  3. State Farm Estimatics
  4. USAA
  5. NICTA (Fraud Training – 2 Needed)
  6. National Flood Insurance Program (experience required)

Sign up with a firm like Renfroe, or The BestIRS for upcoming certification classes

Public Adjuster Training

The job of the public adjuster is to work with the applicant and assure that they provide authentic information to the insurance company to assure that they will get the coverage that they deserve.

Training for public adjusters is different because they don’t perform the same functions as independent or staff adjusters. The good news is…

… they learn more than the independent adjusters and thus get paid more.

… set up a pre-interview presentation to learn more about public adjusting.


Training typically consists of how to identify property damage; like the insurance adjuster.

Like the insurance adjuster…

PAs also need to take a pre-license course. Check with your state to know the requirements. Almost every state requires a course. It is typically 40 hours.

Unlike the insurance adjuster… you don’t need a license to get started.

PA training primarily consists of working on your communication skills. You will have to work with different clients. You will learn how to handle different types of cases related to property damage.

In Conclusion, Training Costs Money

Can’t get around the government mandate, but you may be able to start from $0.00…

While you will make a lot of money in this field, you will need to invest in yourself by attending training. Don’t let that scare you. Start with investing your time…

There are free training programs offered by firms like Metro Public Adjustment, Pilot, and even the carriers themselves (staff positions)…

While some training is free, the cost to get to the training and your accommodations while you are there will NOT be free. That’s not bad news…

since you are independent you will be able to write these costs off on your taxes!

Bottom Line

There are several schools, training institutions, and online sources that are providing the training courses.  Get hands-on training and practical experience that will enhance your confidence level and exposure.

If you do not have enough time to attend regular classes. The best way for them to manage the training session is by taking online courses, if available. You have to assure that you schedule the class according to your working schedule.

You will even get access to the recorded classes so that you will not miss a single training session. The course is commonly completed in a limited time.

Make sure that you select the trustworthy and accepted online course so that you can have the authentic certification when you will apply for the license.

Scroll to Top